LIBERTY TAX SERVICE, INC.
PROCEDURES FOR CUSTOMER PERSONAL INFORMATION
Scope of Procedures
The following privacy procedures for the safeguarding of Customer Personal Information apply to all operating units of Liberty Tax Service
- To establish rules for collecting, using, disclosing, verifying,
guarding and retaining the personal information of Liberty Tax Service
- To identify reasons Liberty Tax Service collects personal information
- To provide a means for customers to view their own personal information
and a channel through which complaints can be lodged and/or addressed.
"Collection" means the act of gathering, acquiring, or obtaining personal information from any source, including third parties, by any means.
"Consent" means the voluntary agreement with what is being done or proposed. Consent can be either expressed or implied. Express consent is given explicitly, either orally or in writing.
Express consent is unequivocal and does not require any inference on the part of the organization seeking consent. Implied consent occurs where consent may reasonably be inferred from the action or inaction of the individual.
"Customer" means the end user of one or more tax preparation services provided by Liberty Tax Service.
"Disclosure" means making personal information available to a third party individual or company outside the organization.
"Organization" is a term used in the Canada Standards Association Model Code that includes associations, businesses, charitable organizations, clubs government bodies, institutions, professional practices and unions.
"Personal Information" means information about an identifiable individual that is recorded in any form, or is used directly or indirectly to identify an individual. This would include name, age,
Social Insurance numbers, marital status, dependent information, financial or medical records, ethnic origin, social status, opinions, evaluations, comments or disputes.
"Privacy" means the right and obligation of individuals and organizations with respect to the collections, use, retention and disclosure of personal information.
"Use" means the treatment and handling of Personal Information within the organization.
We know that the privacy of your personal information is important to you. We are committed to safeguarding the privacy of your information and want you to know the protective measures we take.
- Liberty Tax Service collects personal information from customers to:
- record customer views of products;
- resolve customer complaints of product;
- analyze complaints of products demographically;
- reduce business risk or loss;
- Prior to collecting Personal Information from a Customer, the Liberty Tax Service employee must:
- identify the purpose for which the information is to be used;
- explain that the collection of the personal information is voluntary;
- explain the retention period of personal information;
- explain that information may be reported to other departments or franchisees
within Liberty Tax Service only, and not outside companies, except for Canada
Customs and Revenue Agency ("CCRA");
the website; and
- obtain the Customer's express consent for the collection, use, retention and
disclosure of their Personal Information.
- Liberty Tax Service gathers Personal Information directly from the Customer for
be identified for the Personal Information already in Liberty Tax Services possession,
the Personal Information will not be used until the new purpose has been explained to
the customer and his/her consent to the new purchase has been obtained.
- The Personal Information collects on its Customers is intended only for Liberty Tax
Service employees to use in conducting their day-to-day business. The information
will also be reported to CCRA and, if necessary, Customer Service Department.
- Customer personal information can be stored in any of the following manners:
- In a password protected file on a personal computer. The computer must never
be left in a state that unauthorized person can access it
- In a locked file cabinet to which only authorized employees have access
- In a locked room or office area to which only authorized employees have access
- In personal file cabinet, day timers, or diaries to which only holder or
authorized designate has access
- All personal information for customers is to be recorded in the current software
“Greenpoint Profile”. Only the Customer Service Representative, Technical Support
and Regional Directors or direct employees etc. should have access to this
information. All files are password protected.
- Any third party service providers must sign the ‘Non – Disclosure Agreement’
prior to conducting focus studies or other duties on behalf of Liberty Tax Service.
The third party service providers must adhere to Liberty Tax Service privacy policies.
- Customers make contact with Liberty Tax Service, by a personal visit, by phone and
by email. Customers then have a choice to be added to our database in Profile. The
consequences of the customer’s decision (on whether or not to add his name to the
database or contact page) are explained to him prior to him making the decision.
- Any requests by customers to view their personal information are to be directed to
Chief Privacy Officer is responsible for conducting the meeting with the customer.
Non-Public Information We Collect
If you use our website, we collect the following types of information:
Cookies are a text file put on a user’s computer, if accepted by the computer, which provide to us such information as whether you are a new or returning visitor and which web pages you visit.
Transparent gifs are an invisible image which gathers such information as where you came from to visit a particular web page or which of multiple links to the same page you used to access that page.
Log files are text files on the server which gather such information as your internet protocol address, internet service provider and type of browser. We use this information to determine such things as the number of visitors and day and time of visit to our website.
If you choose to submit your contact information to indicate an interest in either a franchise or tax course, we receive from you your name, address, telephone number and e-mail address. If you choose to submit your e-mail address to indicate an interest in our electronic newsletter, we receive from you your e-mail address. If you choose to use our electronic Refer a Friend on this site, we collect from you your name, address and e-mail address.
We maintain physical, electronic and procedural security measures that comply with applicable legal and regulatory standards to safeguard your non-public personal information. Access to such information is restricted to those employees who are trained in the proper handling of client information and have a legitimate business need to access that information.
Information We Disclose
Affiliated and non-affiliated third parties may be given access to your information only as permitted by law or upon your express authorization to process the transactions which you have engaged us to perform.
or non-affiliated third parties. This information is used internally to better design and manage
If you have inputted information into our website to express an interest in being contacted about tax courses, your information is transferred to a local Liberty Tax Service office, most of which are franchised, so the office may contact you. Also, we may contact you directly about a tax course in one of our offices, or an online tax course, or we may contact you about franchise opportunities with us.
If you entered your contact information into our website to express an interest in being contacted about a franchise opportunity, we use your information to contact you about this opportunity.
If you submitted your e-mail address to sign up for our electronic newsletter, we use your e-mail address to e-mail our newsletter to you and we may contact you about franchise opportunities with us.
If you chose to use our electronic Refer a Friend on this site, we enter your name and address into a database which allows us or a Liberty franchisee to use your name and address to mail to you the referral fee if and when someone that you refer to us uses our tax preparation services.
If you submitted your e-mail address to us for any purpose, we may contact you to invite you to prepare your tax return with us.
January 21, 2008. Because privacy is important, we pledge to work with you to protect and safeguard the security of your personal customer information.
email@example.com or by mail at Privacy, Liberty Tax Service, 1716 Corporate Landing Parkway, Virginia Beach, Virginia 23454.